lunedì 7 maggio 2012

EXCLUSIVE AND UNUSUAL INTERVIEW WITH JANE SIBBETT (Jane Wilson on SB - 1986/87)

Today I’m presenting to you the interview that Jane Sibbett has granted exclusively to "Santa Barbara Blog". Her most notable roles include Heddy on the Fox television series Herman's Head, and as Ross Geller's (first) ex-wife, Carol Willick, on the American TV sitcom Friends. Sibbett started her acting career as Jane Wilson on the NBC soap opera Santa Barbara in 1986-87, for which she was nominated for a Best Newcomer award before she moved to CBS' show The Famous Teddy Z to co-star with Jon Cryer and Alex Rocco. Starring in more than 200 episodes of TV, including as Morgan Faulkner in The Nanny, Sibbett also guest starred on the television show 21 Jump Street. She starred in the 1998 movie Noah alongside Tony Danza and Wallace Shawn as well as in 1998's The Second Arrival alongside Patrick Muldoon and Michael Sarrazin. She appeared in Dan O'Bannon's 1992 film The Resurrected. She co-starred with Mary-Kate and Ashley Olsen in It Takes Two (1995), the telefilm, Au Pair (1999). Sibbett has co-produced three documentaries on Braco, a Croatian healer, with her company, Wild Aloha Studios in 2010 and 2011.



First of all, thanks for accepting to answer to my questions. Can you tell us how you began to work on the American television. What was the first role that made you feel more satisfied as an actress?

The role on Santa Barbara was the first role that made me feel satisfied as an actress of course! It was juicy! Everyone dreams of playing two characters at once. YUMMMY!

How did you come to Santa Barbara?

Paul Decker, the casting director had championed me fresh while in UCLA. I'd originally read for Kelly, but if I'd gotten that part I would have been unable to graduate from UCLA and receive my Bachelor of Arts degree, so I had to simply wait a little longer. And who could have played Kelly so beautifully but Robin Wright, right?

On Santa Barbara you played Jane Wilson. Your own name. Was it a coincidence?

 Yes, that we were both Janes was a coincidence. Fun, but random.

Bridget and Jerome Dobson are Santa Barbara’s creators. What are your memories about them? Shortly after your farewell, they were fired by NBC. Do You remember having experienced internal tensions?

I do remember there was some behind the scenes drama, but since I was mostly concerned with staying on the show I presented a whole storyline idea where suddenly I was being entertained as a possible writer for the show, too. That should have maybe been a sign that something was amiss, but truthfully, the line for me, as a neophyte actress didn't make it ripe for much producer interaction. I was blissfully unaware, but ever grateful for their belief in me on that show as long as I did it.

Jane is introduced as a radio presenter, a colleague of Ted (Todd McKee), seemingly shy and sullen. At night, however, she becomes the seductive and captivating Roxanne and a game of seduction begins with Ted. This side, however, was abandoned very soon. Would you have liked to play it longer?

Yeah! Playing a bitch by day, slut by night was a blast! It was challenging to do the wardrobe changes (nails, hair, makeup, clothes when I didn't have a sexy body), but of course... this is a soap opera actress' dream job!



You've acted mostly with Nicolas Coster (Lionel), Lenore Casdorf (Caroline), Richard Eden (Brick): do you want to share with us your memories about these actors?

Nick was awesome -- full of wisdom and talent. Lenore was amazing -- wish I'd had more time with her. She saved my life, really, getting me into therapy for a true life attack that I'd buried and only came out during an intense fight scene. Too young to be my mom, I think, but she rocked. Where is she now, I often wonder. Richard Eden ... no comment. We didn't get along. I didn't like rehearsing love scenes without a director and he did. Enough said?

Why did you leave Santa Barbara? Was it your choice?

No, sadly, it wasn't my choice, but the Universe's -- or maybe New World's. My contract wasn't renewed. I went through a string of loves on the show and I think they didn't know what to do with me. Blessedly within a week of finding out this sad news (for me - I could have done it forever -- I like the hard work) I was hired to do CBS' Emmy nominated night time show - CBS' The Famous Teddy Z with Jon Cryer as my co-star and my career really took off then. From there I went to Herman's Head on Fox and then played Carol, Ross' ex-wife on Friends for a glorious decade.

Santa Barbara was the only soap opera you starred. Why?

There was no reason to go to daytime when my night time career was flourishing.

In 1988 you were nominated for the Soap Opera Digest Award for Best Newcomer. So you had achieved a certain notoriety. Today, many actresses are almost ashamed of their “soap” past. I think about Robin Wright. Do you think that Santa Barbara was a minor genre of television or not?

I loved my soap opera beginnings. It taught me the power of hard work, learning lines and how to hit my marks quickly. Was I good? No, but it was the best training grounds for a happy career of hard work. No regrets, only gratitude for being so lucky to work with such lovely people everywhere.

You were on Santa Barbara at the same time Robin Wright was on. What are your memories about her?

Robin is a phenomenally talented actress. At the time, though, she was so fresh, so new, and untried, she was required to spend a lot of time with a good acting coach to help her learn so we didn't have much time to be together. Years later when we'd run into one another we always were with great respect for one another and our paths. I have only high regards for all my former co-actresses.

In the USA Santa Barbara always remained in the bottom of the rankings ratings. In the rest of the world and especially in Europe it was a huge success. Furthermore, despite having low ratings, it has been the most award-winning soap. How do you explain that?

Who can explain why I like apples and you like oranges? Taste can't be defined, but variety should be celebrated.

How have you changed since 1987’ Jane Sibbett? Professionally and personally, please.

Oh, my goodness ... I am much, much older since 1987. I've had 3 children, a 20 year marriage, so many stories, so many incarnations of life and career, and now this new path I'm on of producing Braco's tours in America... now one of healing and helping the world feel better a new way.... I'm still the beginning. I'm still hungry to learn and grow and spread light. I'm still young at heart and as vulnerable as I ever was, but I have a deeper appreciation for the beauty of this life. There are soooo many options for us to enjoy and I am grateful that I've already had the chance to love so fully many of them with many more to come.

What are your professional plans for the future?

I intend to continue to produce and write and hope that some day I will return to acting, but at this point, I have some humanitarian efforts to produce, first. You can see a bit of it at bracoamerica.com and join us at any point on Braco, America Facebook.

What you liked about Santa Barbara and what you do not like about that show. Can you tell us something spicy about the show?

I loved the work! I love the character. I loved the pace. I didn't like that I had to leave too soon, but I have few complaints. And no, I won't talk out of school. The past is the past and I won't stoop to dishing, but I have the highest regards for Marcy, Stacy, Julia, Robin, Robin, Nicolas, Lane... and all..

Ok Jane, interview is over, what would you say to the fans of Santa Barbara that have loved you so much?

Wow! I didn't know there were still fans of Santa Barbara! Where have you all been hiding? Love to you all wherever you may be! Shine bright...


Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

CHI E' COLLEGATO?