domenica 27 luglio 2014

My Exclusive Interview with HARLEY JANE KOZAK

Mary Duvall on "Santa Barbara"


Harley J. Kozak starred in movies such as Necessary Roughness, The Favor, Parenthood, Arachnophobia, All I Want for Christmas and the soap operas Texas (from November 1981 to December 1982 as Brette Wheeler), Guiding Light (from 1983 to 1985 and a one day voice over in February 1990, as both Annabelle Sims Reardon and Annabelle's deceased mother, in 1983 flashbacks, Annie Sims) and Santa Barbara (from 1985 to 1986 and again in 1989, as former nun, Mary Duvall McCormick). In Santa Barbara her character died in an accident where a giant neon letter "C" toppled on top of her during an argument atop the Capwell hotel. Viewers were so angry over Mary's death that they started a letter-writing campaign demanding for her reappearance. The show received such huge amounts of letters that eventually they admitted their mistake and asked Kozak to come back. She declined the offer since she was already working with other projects and she was proud of the unusual way her character had made her exit. In February 1989, though, she made a brief return as an angel in Heaven. In 1987 Harley received a Soap Opera Digest Award from her role as Mary. Kozak has written five novels: Dating Dead Men (2004), Dating Is Murder : A Novel (2005), Dead Ex (2007), and A Date You Can't Refuse (2008) all of which feature greeting card designer and amateur sleuth Wollie Shelley, a woman with very eccentric friends and family. The first three novels were published by Doubleday, a division of Random House, the most recent was published by Broadway Books following the restructuring of Doubleday. Dating Dead Men won an Agatha Award, an Anthony Award, and a Macavity Award for best first novel. Kozak’s fifth book is Keeper of the Moon, a paranormal romantic suspense novel.


You came to SB in June 1985 and you left the show in July 1986. How did you come to SB? Can you tell us about your audition? What they told you about the character of Mary?

I auditioned while I was still living in NYC. They flew me to LA and told me Mary was a nun and by the time I returned to NYC, I think I had the job. I moved to LA that very week.

Tricia Cast (Christie), Grace
Zabriskie (Theda) and Kozak
I believe that Mary was the moral conscience of the show. When she came to SB she was still a nun, her sister Christy was raped and Ted Capwell was accused of this crime. I remember that Mary, during an outburst of anger, said that she would have liked to see Ted died for this. And she enter into moral crisis, because her feelings were not conform to what you would expect from a nun. Mary is assuming its responsibilities and that is enough to call into questioned her path. And of course she is falling in love with Mason ... A very nuanced character! How the character was received by the public? And by you?

I always had a great time with Mary. I was raised Catholic and had my own issues with faith and leaving the church, so I could relate to Mary's struggles. And the public seemed to love her from the beginning, which is no doubt due to the great writing on the show.


The love story of Mason and Mary was one of the most beautiful and most troubled of SB. Breaking and conflict. Love and hate. Mary was pure, while Mason was almost evil. Both were complicated, but attracted to each other. How was it working with Lane Davies? Your chemistry was evident. Do you have any funny story about ?
Kozak and Lane Davies (Mason)

I just loved Lane, as did all the women of America (and eventually, the world!) A true scholar, gentleman, and actor. It's funny, but I never perceived Mason as being evil -- so I guess I'm more like Mary than I realized! The only funny story I can recall is when I was on some wacky diet and he tried to make me eat an apple during rehearsal, thinking my blood sugar was low. I threatened to bite him if he didn't leave me alone. In fact, it's possible I did bite him. He did forgive me, however.

Then suddenly they decided to kill Mary crushing her with a big C. How they explained it to you? Can you tell us what do you remember of that last day on the set?

I was told they were cutting the budget and because I was up for a raise, as I'd been there a year, it was decided that firing me would be a great way to save money. I was fine with that. An actor doesn't expect long-term employment on any job, and I was ready to get on with the rest of my career and see what else was there for me besides soaps. All I recall of the last day was how amazing the acting was, going on around me as I lay there dead. It was enough to make me cry. Except that I was dead and thus not supposed to cry.

Is it true that the year after they asked you to come back to the show? Did they tell you how?

It was actually just a few weeks later that they asked me to return. I thanked them and told them it was time for me to move on. If I'd said yes, I'm sure they would have figured out some clever way to bring me back -- perhaps as my own twin.

SB was created by the Dobsons. What are your memories of them? Is it true that they were completely crazy?

I was hired by Mary Ellis Bunim and hadn't much contact with the Dobsons, so I can't tell you about their mental state!

In 1989 you briefly came back to the set of SB as Mason’s guardian angel. How it came to you?

I couldn't resist coming back for an episode or two -- I just didn't want to sign a new contract.

You've acted mostly with Lane Davies, Tricia Cast (Christy), Todd McKee (Ted), A Martinez (Cruz) and Jon Lindstrom (Mark).  Do you want to share with us your memories about the relationship with these actors? How was it working on the set of Santa Barbara?

Every actor you mention was simply wonderful--the whole cast, in fact, was really special. It was a joy to go to work every day.

Can you tell something more spicy: a few secrets on SB? Was there some antipathy between the actors? some tensions?

Well, you'll have to ask other people to discover the ones who didn't like me, as they kept their dislikes to themselves! Unless, perhaps, they were all talking about me behind my back and I didn't realize it. I'm so sorry to disappoint you, but I was completely blind to any dramas and feuds that might have been happening around me. 

You were on “Santa Barbara” at the same time of Robin Wright (as Kelly Capwell). Which are your memories of her?

Robin was the most beautiful, delightful and completely cool actress imaginable. One of the most naturally beautiful women I've ever known. I loved her. I was very happy to see her huge success post-soaps.

In the USA “Santa Barbara”  always remained at the bottom of the rankings ratings. In the rest of the world and especially in Europe it has had excellent ratings. Do people still contact you asking about SB? What made SB so special?

I wasn't familiar with the show before working on it because, ironically, soap actors rarely have time to watch soaps, even the ones they're on. So my introduction to SB was during my audition. It's impossible to say what combination of writing, acting, producing, directing and artistic design made the show so special. I simply think of it as the "magic" of theater (including television) and I have no explanation either for why it was an "underachiever" in the U.S. but so popular overseas.

Which are your plans for the future?

I act very rarely now. I mostly write novels and raise my children (I have 3; a daughter who is fourteen, and twins who are twelve, a boy and a girl). I wouldn't say no to the right acting job, but my focus is on being a mom, and it's hard to do that full-time from a movie set or sound stage.

Kozak and Nic Coster (Lionel) in 2013
This interview is primarily designed for the Italian public. In our country “Santa Barbara” was very much loved and followed. You've never been in Italy? What do you know about our country? Do you want to say something to the Italian public who loved Mary Duvall?


I love, love, love Italy. Viva L'Italia! I have been several times to Roma, Venezia, Firenze . . . it is the most lovely, friendly and cultured country in the world. I would love to live there one day. “Mille grazie, mi amici (perdona la lingua -- io non parlo molto l'Italiano in L.A.)” – (translation: Thank you very much, my friends – forgive my italian, I don’t speak italian very often in L.A.)



Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

CHI E' COLLEGATO?