giovedì 31 luglio 2014

My Exclusive Interview with SUSAN MARIE SNYDER



She is most notably recognized for her role as Julie Kinney Wendall Snyder on CBS' soap As the World Turns. She portrayed the role from 1989 to 1995 and returned shortly twice in 1998 and 2002. Prior to joining the show, Susan had a starring role on another soap, NBC's Santa Barbara. She was the second actress to portray Laken Lockridge, from 1987 to 1988. Snyder has starred in two feature films, in 1986 she had a brief appearance in Ruthless People, which starred Danny DeVito and Bette Midler and she played the role of Mare in 1988 sequel Sleepaway Camp II: Unhappy Campers alongside Pamela SpringsteenShe has retired from acting and legally changed her name to Suzenne Marie Seradwyn.



You came to SB in 1987. How did it happen to you?? Can you tell us about your audition? What they told you about the character of Laken?

Originally, I auditioned for the role of Laken (#1) in New York City, when SB was a brand new show.  I can remember working very hard on the audition; coached by a talented, actor friend of mine who, apparently, gave me some real bad direction because the casting director did not like my interpretation of the character. About two years later, I had moved out to LA and the part came up again only this time, they wanted a much different version of the Laken (#2) character.  There were about five ladies present for the call back.  I knew I had given the best audition I could give. Needless to say, I was absolutely thrilled to have gotten my first long-term, contract as a player on the soaps.

Julie Ronnie 
Laken back to SB after two year absence with a new face (yours), but especially with a new character: Julie Ronnie's Laken was just a teenager who could not rebel against her domineering mother, Augusta, she was too submissive and without malice . Your Laken was much more confident.  I remember a scene in which she swims completely naked in the pool of Ted Capwell to seduce him..  In summary, Laken changes and becomes a true bitch (with all due respect). Do you liked going into the shoes of a character like that?

I don’t think I ever saw Julie Ronnie’s portrayal of Laken, though, of course, I knew about the character’s history and radical personality shift.  I just played the character how she was written and I was directed. I justified everything she did in the name of love.  She believed Ted was her true love and nothing or no one was going to keep her away from him. I liked playing someone who was so different than me.  It was a challenge to make her real and sympathetic. 

Laken’s relationship with her father Lionel (Nicolas Coster) undergoes some tensions when he decides to marry Caroline (Lenore Kasdorf). Can you make a human and professional portrait of Nicolas Coster and Lenore Kasdorf?

Nicolas was always a charming character. At times, so sophisticated and other times like a big kid. I guess he was a lot like Lionel. One of his big loves wassailing and diving.  I was fortunate to have been a guest on his boat a couple times when it was at the marina near the Channel Islands in California. As for Laken’s relationship with him…I recall a scene I did once where Laken opened up to Ted about how her dad had been gone on his adventures for so much of her childhood that she never really knew when or if he was ever coming back…?  I can’t say that I had much of an opportunity to work with or get to know Lenore too well.  She did come to a party at my house with her sweet daughter who must’ve been 10 years old at that time.

Few years ago Chip Mayer (TJ) has died prematurely because of an illness. What do you remember about him? Can you tell us some anecdotes?

I was sorry to hear about Chip.  He was a very gregarious and talented guy. I enjoyed working with him.  I knew he struggled with addiction.  It’s a terrible challenge and strain on everyone coping with it and not uncommon amongst creative-types, as we all know. The strange thing is that he is the third of my male, co-stars who have died prematurely.  Michael David Morrison, (Caleb Snyder) and Michael Louden (Duke Kramer) from “As the World Turns” both died in their 30’s and now Chip.


Laken's return seemed to be a first attempt to bring the Lockridge family back to the show. But then after just eight months, they decided to delete your character and the project was aborted. Why? What happened?

I wish I had an answer for you but I don’t.  No one ever told me why she was written out.

You've acted mostly with Todd McKee (Ted) and Stacey Edwards (Hailey). Did youk now that Julia Roberts auditioned for the role of Hailey? Do you want to share with us your memories about the relationship with these actors?

SB Cast in 1987
I didn’t know that Julia Roberts had auditioned for Hailey! That doesn’t surprise me much.  She and I were signed with the same management agency, R.M.G., in the 80’s.  We were friends and auditioned for a lot of the same things. Todd was a very nice guy. Tall and pretty goofy when he wanted to be.  Easy and fun to work with although he almost drowned me during a scene at the winery when he pushed me under in a vat of grapes a little too long. Stacey was a very kind, sincere and talented young woman.  She was great to work and hang out with.  She used to come up to my place in the Hollywood Hills for our various “girl’s nights.”

Bridget and Jerome Dobson are the creators of “Santa Barbara”. Which are your memories of them? Shortly after your farewell, they were fired by NBC because they wanted to fire the then Head Writer. Do You remember having experienced internal tensions? 

I can’t say that I ever remember meeting Bridget and Jerome.  I remember hearing and reading about the internal conflicts and politics with the producers but everything was so “HUSH HUSH” and mainly rumors that I didn’t know what to believe.

Although you did not shoot many scenes with her, you were on “Santa Barbara” along with Robin Wright (Kelly Capwell). Which are your memories of her?

I didn’t have much contact with Robin. I remember she had a three-legged dog that she used to bring to work with her.  She went off to make “The Princess Bride” when we were on SB. I was so jealous because I had a huge crush on Carey Elwes at the time!

Can you describe a typical day on the set of Santa Barbara ?

I would enter through the gate of NBC Studios in Burbank in the morning or afternoon depending on my schedule. I’d be running my lines in my head as I went to get my hair done, running my lines as I went to get my make-up done.  Sometimes, I would work with the talent coach they would bring in occasionally. We would rehearse our scenes just a couple times on set, break for notes and the snack cart, (all the while running my lines) get a touch-up on my make-up and hair, (run my lines) and tape the scene. Get notes or not  (run my lines) tape the scene again (or not) and move on to the next one. 

What is your funniest memory related to SB?

I recall one day I was walking down Hollywood Blvd. and I overheard some young women talking and gesturing towards me. They were arguing and the one girl was emphatically insisting to her friend, “That is NOT Laken.  Laken is FAT!”  Well, the camera does add 10 lbs on you.

The worst memory?

I guess my worst memory was finding out I’d been written out of the show and no one would talk to me about it.

Is there any SB’s scene that for any reason has embarrassed you and you did not want to play?

I had to get over any shyness and inhibitions I had in order to play this role. On my very first day on the set, they had me naked, in a towel and soaking wet in a rainstorm.

Can you tell us now something more spicy: a few secrets about SB? 

I can’t say that I paid much attention to gossip on the set.  Nothing comes to mind.  Everyone was very focused.  We worked very hard to get the amount of work done in the short time we had to do it.

Snyder on ATWT
In 1989 you joined the ATWT cast as Julie. Laken and Julie: Who do you prefer? Which were the differences between SB and ATWT?

I would have to say that I preferred playing Julie. Laken had great potential but was just never given the opportunity to develop her character and storylines.  The producers wanted her “light and fluffy; “ a trust fund, party girl-type without a whole lot of substance.  I  did find ways to allow her insecurity show through when I was given the chance. Julie was the exact opposite. Deeply complex and an emotional train wreck. Raised by her alcoholic, single-mother, she grew up in poverty on the streets of Seattle, WA where she learned to use her looks and body to get what she wanted. Soap Opera Digest voted her “The Worst Mother in Daytime Televsion.”  She gave birth to three children but didn’t have custody of any of them. She was ambitious and manipulative but she was also sweet and vulnerable.

What are your professional plans for the future?

I enjoy creating my own music and dance videos  and hosting the occasional BlogTalkRadio show called, PureMotherLoveLive.

Jane Sibbett (Jane) & Snyder in 2014
This interview is designed primarily for the Italian public. In our country, “Santa Barbara” was very much loved and followed. What do you know about our country? Do You want to say something to the Italian public who loved you and our Laken Lockridge?


I’m very pleased and surprised to hear that our show was so popular with an Italian audience! I had no idea.  Thank you for watching! I spent only 24 hours in Rome on my return from a vacation through Greece and Egypt.  It was way too short of a visit to get a real feel for the country.  I went to the Coliseum, Fontana di Trevi, ate some delicious pasta and that was about it.  I have longed to return to visit Venice, Florence and the Amalfi Coast.  One day soon…




Nessun commento:

Posta un commento

CHI E' COLLEGATO?